Saturday, January 9, 2010

Eat from the Pantry Challenge!

Buying groceries is something we must do every month! As mothers, we care for our families by shopping for food and providing healthy meals. But sometimes we wish we had more money to spend or could eat at restaurants more often or have that special dessert. Not that those things are bad, but sometimes we need to change our perspective. Having a grocery store down the street (or in the next town over :)) is a privilege of living in this great country! God has called us to be good stewards of our resources and providing good meals at minimal cost is part of that calling. Cooking from scratch is how I have managed to feed our family of 6 on $200-$300/month. (Of course that is an average, sometimes it is more, sometimes it is less.)

Check out Money Saving Mom for details on her Eat from the Pantry challenge, but read on here to see what All Things Granola will be doing as part of this challenge. I just love this idea!

Since we lived on $100 for the month of Dec, I feel I can meet this challenge in January!

Since I am getting started a little late, I have already done my shopping for January, and since we depleted most of our pantry in Dec, I did a little stocking up, but I know that I won't be shopping again for the remainder of the month!

So here are our family's goals for the Eat From The Pantry Challenge:

1) No more shopping for the month of January. This is our choice because I have no more grocery budget left. I don't recommend this for your family as having fresh produce, milk and eggs is a good thing. :)

2) Create delicious, original meals with what is already in my pantry.

3) Do NOT complain to my husband or children about not having the luxury to run to the grocery store.

4) Teach my kids about families in other countries and how they provide for their families.


Would you like to join us? Please do! You may use the logo above and post on your blog page and share with us in your post about your January Eat from the Pantry Challenge. Then go back to Money Saving Mom and fill in your Mr. Linky so that others can read about your challenge.


1 comment:

Mandi said...

I love this idea! We will be moving within the next few months so I really need to start thinning out my stockpile.

Email: