Thursday, May 22, 2008

Homemade Ketchup

As we search for natural alternatives, I have tried making substitutes at home. Although ketchup is considered all natural, it is full of white sugar. Why would I work so hard at keeping white sugar out of my family's diet only to allow them to swallow up french fries (homemade, of course) with store-bought ketchup? I found a recipe I like!

This is adapted from the More-with-Less Cookbook (which I have added to the cookbooks pictured above). I am loving this cookbook! Thanks grandma!

Tomato Ketchup

5-24 oz jars organic tomato puree
5 medium sized 1015 onions

Blend tomato with onion until smooth. Pour into large stock pot.

Add to pot:
1 1/2 T celery seed
5 t salt
2 c organic apple cider vinegar
1 dropperful of liquid stevia
4 t pickling spice in bag

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook slowly for 1 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally.
Remove spice bag.

Combine in small bowl:
5 T corn starch
1/4 c water

Stir into boiling tomato mixture. Boil for 5 minutes. Seal in 10-11 pint jars.

No comments:

Email: